In the past few years, remote work has seemed to many to be the ideal solution, because instead of boring time in the office, you can create your own schedule. Whereas previously only a few employees could work remotely, today this format of interaction is used more and more often. Not so long ago, the world became convinced that it is possible to work from home without affecting efficiency, so remote work is becoming an increasingly popular activity. However, along with the advantages that this kind of work brings, one has to put up with the disadvantages. We'll talk about them now.
What's so hard about working remotely?
It may seem that working without being tied to one place is ideal. A free schedule, a comfortable environment, and time-saving... But this working format has several drawbacks.
First of all, only those who are confident in their discipline can switch to remote work. You will have to draw up a schedule for when you will be engaged in work duties, and not be distracted easily. It takes self-discipline and focus. By the way, not only you will have to make efforts, but also your loved ones, who need to come to terms with your busyness.
Another issue is the technical aspect. It is necessary to organize the workspace, set up equipment, and prepare everything you need to perform your duties at the required quality. For example, teachers need to have a good microphone and choose a corner in their home especially as the working background of their virtual office.
Time management issues when working remotely
If you decide to start working remotely, you need to mentally prepare for such a change. You need to be disciplined and understand that even work from home must be done well. Sometimes you really want to postpone the task and do something more attractive, because you can always finish the project later, and the boss does not stand behind demanding you to devote all your time to work. But you may finish everything at the last moment and simply do not notice the presence of critical mistakes.
Time management is a major challenge for anyone who is going to work remotely. You can get distracted, and work obligations can be easily forgotten, so you should keep yourself in good shape and not take big indulgences.
Time management tips and tricks
A person working remotely should be familiar with the basics of time management when drawing up their own work schedule. Here are some simple tips to help you stay effective in any setting:
- Create a daily routine. You should have a clear time when you are busy with work and not be distracted by other things.
- Teach your family not to distract you while you work. Your family may not understand that working from home is still working, so explain this to them and warn them that while you are working, you are virtually unavailable.
- Work in small intervals. You do not need to set aside half a day for dealing only with work duties without interruption since you still will not be able to do this. Divide all tasks into several items and complete them one at a time during the day, taking breaks.
- Organize your workspace. To tune in to office responsibilities, just create a work environment (you do not have to set aside an entire office).
Getting used to working on your own schedule is easy, but sticking to a routine is important.
The difficulty of staying connected to the Internet from abroad
We discussed the issue of technical support above, but it is worth delving into this topic in more detail. For example, you traveled to another country and are working remotely. In such a situation, one important issue arises – connection to the Internet, which should be solved first of all. Modern technologies offer many different solutions, so all that remains is to choose one option and implement it.
Options for solving the Internet issue
To work remotely in another country and connect to the network, you can use the following solutions:
- Roaming. You can use communication in roaming, but it is too expensive, and you will pay way more than needed for such a service.
- Connecting to public networks. This is the most common option for travelers, but it is not always possible to take advantage of it. Public networks have a limited range and you must stay within that area when using them.
- Connection to local operators. This cannot be done in every country, and sometimes the cost of such mobile data is quite high.
- eSIM. This is a modern analog of a traditional SIM card, which does not require the presence of a physical carrier. The advantages of this solution are a wide range of plans, the ability to connect for a determined period, and a stable connection.
Looking for good Wi-Fi
Connecting to public networks or a local router is the easiest and most common option for a permanent connection. However, not every hotel or hostel can provide you with a stable connection. If you plan to work on the seashore, a local connection might not be reliable, and you will have to change your workplace.
Embedded SIM: eSIM
This optimal solution will allow you to reduce communication costs and enjoy a high-quality and stable connection. As an additional plus, you do not need an additional device to connect to the network, and you can choose a plan specifically for a certain period of time. It is worth noting that the cost of mobile data from eSIM operators is lower than traditional offers from most providers.
Portable international Wi-Fi hotspots
This is an extreme way to connect to the network that has appeared recently. The peculiarity of this method is that you purchase a mobile router for a satellite connection that gives you Internet access. But you will have to pay a lot for such a technological novelty, so not all travelers can afford it.
As you can see, every problem has a solution, you just have to choose which method is most suitable for you. If remote work seems like a good choice, you just need to think through all the details and not be afraid of changing your usual way of life.